baltimoresun.com

« Two-digit temperature records rare in July | Main | Virginia wildfire smoke seen from space »

August 10, 2011

Cooler, drier weather on tap

Temperatures across Central Maryland will run below normal for the next couple of days as a cold front clears the air. The front will pass through late today, reinforcing the one that swept past last Mushroomevening with some welcome showers. This time the frontal passage will be dry.

Behind the front, forecasters say we'll enjoy lower humidity as dew points drop into the mid-50s. Daytime highs for Thursday and Friday will hold in the low 80s. Overnight lows will fall to the upper 50s in the western counties to the mid- to upper-60s in the urban and suburban counties. So switch off the AC tonight and open the windows.

But first, we'll have to deal with one more day of near-90-degree weather. Thankfully, humidities are already decreasing, so even 90 degrees will feel pretty comfortable today (Wednesday).

By late Friday, however, the high pressure center that is bringing us this pleasant interlude will move off the coast. That brings us into the return flow, with winds shifting to the south or southeast. And that will bring us a shot of warmer, more humid air off the Gulf and the Atlantic, and increasing clouds for the weekend.

We should expect that will increase our chances for showers and thunderstorms for the weekend. Forecasters give us a 60 percent chance for storms Saturday night, 40 percent on Sunday and 30 percent on Monday. With all the clouds to shade us, daily highs won't change much, remaining in the near-normal mid-80s well into next week.

Recent rains have brought forth a half-fairy-circle of these mushrooms near the WeatherDeck in Cockeysville. Can anyone identify the species?

(SUN PHOTO: Frank Roylance, Aug. 9, 2011)

Posted by Frank Roylance at 10:24 AM | | Comments (3)
Categories: Forecasts
        

Comments

What do you think this will do for meteor shower viewing in central MD for Fri?Sat?

FR REPLIES: Forecast says the humidity will rise late Friday, bringing in more clouds. Skies will be partly cloudy Saturday morning. Worse, the moon will be full. Not the greatest conditions for viewing the shower.

I'm curious about the mushroom question myself because I have quite a display of large mushrooms growing in my backyard. Mine started as ball shaped on top as in your picture, but opened into huge mushrooms over the past few days. I've let them stay there (for now) just to see how big they will get.

FR REPLIES: There were about a dozen in all. The one pictured here seemed to be immature, as the others, most of them, had opened like big umbrellas.

Looks like the famous golf ball fungus. :-)

FR REPLIES: Tee and all...

Post a comment

All comments must be approved by the blog author. Please do not resubmit comments if they do not immediately appear. You are not required to use your full name when posting, but you should use a real e-mail address. Comments may be republished in print, but we will not publish your e-mail address. Our full Terms of Service are available here.

Verification (needed to reduce spam):

About Frank Roylance
This site is the Maryland Weather archive. The current Maryland Weather blog can be found here.
Frank Roylance is a reporter for The Baltimore Sun. He came to Baltimore from New Bedford, Mass. in 1980 to join the old Evening Sun. He moved to the morning Sun when the papers merged in 1992, and has spent most of his time since covering science, including astronomy and the weather. One of The Baltimore Sun's first online Web logs, the Weather Blog debuted in October 2004. In June 2006 Frank also began writing comments on local weather and stargazing for The Baltimore Sun's print Weather Page. Frank also answers readers’ weather queries for the newspaper and the blog. Frank Roylance retired in October 2011. Maryland Weather is now being updated by members of The Baltimore Sun staff
-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Sign up for FREE weather alerts*
Get free Baltimore Sun mobile alerts
Sign up for weather text alerts
SKY NOTES WEATHER

Returning user? Update preferences.
Sign up for more Sun text alerts
*Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Maryland Weather Center


Area Weather Stations
Resources and Sun coverage
• Weather news

• Readers' photos

• Data from the The Sun's weather station

• 2011 stargazers' calendar

• Become a backyard astronomer in five simple steps

• Baltimore Weather Archive
Daily airport weather data for Baltimore from 1948 to today

• National Weather Service:
Sterling Forecast Office

• Capital Weather Gang:
Washington Post weather blog

• CoCoRaHS:
Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network. Local observations by volunteers

• Weather Bug:
Webcams across the state

• National Data Buoy Center:
Weather and ocean data from bay and ocean buoys

• U.S. Drought Monitor:
Weekly maps of drought conditions in the U.S.

• USGS Earthquake Hazards Program:
Real-time data on earthquakes

• Water data:
From the USGS, Maryland

• National Hurricane Center

• Air Now:
Government site for air quality information

• NWS Climate Prediction Center:
Long-term and seasonal forecasts

• U.S. Climate at a Glance:
NOAA interactive site for past climate data, national, state and city

• Clear Sky Clock:
Clear sky alerts for stargazers

• NASA TV:
Watch NASA TV

• Hubblesite:
Home page for Hubble Space Telescope

• Heavens Above:
Everything for the backyard stargazer, tailored to your location

• NASA Eclipse Home Page:
Centuries of eclipse predictions

• Cruise Critic: Hurricane Zone:
Check to see how hurricanes may affect your cruise schedule

• Warming World:
NASA explains the science of climate change with articles, videos, “data visualizations,” and space-based imagery.

• What on Earth:
NASA blog on current research at the space agency.
Most Recent Comments
Blog updates
Recent updates to baltimoresun.com news blogs
 Subscribe to this feed
Charm City Current
Stay connected