baltimoresun.com

« Overnight storms bring damage, some heat relief | Main | Sure it's hot, but is it REALLY bothering you? »

June 10, 2011

More heat, more storms, more sweat

What? All those Severe Thunderstorm Watches late yesterday and your place got zilch? Yeah, me too. A little thunder, a few flashes of lightning, and not a drop of rain on the WeatherDeck in Cockeysville. We were watering the grass again this morning.

But rest assured there were some serious storms last evening. CoCoRaHS Network observers report Deale, in Anne Arundel County, got more than 1.5 inches of rain. Over in Queenstown, in Queen Anne's County on the Eastern Shore, they reported more than an inch. Columbia, Easton and St. Michaels all saw more than a half-inch Baltimore lightningof rain in storms.

Even Hamilton, in Northeast Baltimore managed more than a third of an inch.

BGE crews went to work and restored nearly 45,000 customers who lost power as a major storm crossed the central portion of ithe utility's  service area. BGE expects they'll all be back online by this evening. And then repair crews can tackle whatever the next round of storms brings.

Forecasters expect a 60 percent chance of more storms Saturday, slipping to 40 percent Sunday, with highs in the mid-80s.

Thursday night's storms put on quite a show in some places. William " Bear" Stifler, in Hampden, shot this great image of lightning over Baltimore. He may get more chances today. The National Weather Service says there's a 30 percent chance that "scattered" showers and storms will pop up again late this afternoon. AccuWeather.com

Thursday's 100-degree readings at BWI (it was 103 at the Inner Harbor) took their toll on the region's most vulnerable citizens. The Baltimore Health Department reported at least 14 patients were taken to emergency rooms Thursday, including six cases of heat exhaustion.

The department's spokesman, Brian Schleter also noted that  area emergency rooms saw a spike in asthma-related admissions on Wednesday. Forty-one were reported, about 14 more than normal. "Poor air quality is the likely culprit," he said. A Code Orange Air Quality Alert is posted again Friday for Central Maryland. That means breathing the air outdoors may be unhealthy for vulnerable groups.

The city also recorded 480 visits to cooling centers at the city's senior centers on Wednesday, when the high was 99 at BWI. 

In the meantime, while it may not feel quite as hot today (Friday) as it was yesterday, the high temperature at BWI-Marshall Airport is headed back into the 90s this afternoon. The official forecast high is 92 degrees, well short of the record of 97 degrees, set in 1964. But then again, the NWS almost always undershoots the mark on summer highs in Baltimore...

Dew points remain high, too, so it will continue to feel sticky and stuffy. But, as my sainted mother always assured me, "It will be better Monday."

(PHOTO: WIlliam "Bear" Stifler, Hamilton. Used with permission.)

Posted by Frank Roylance at 10:36 AM | | Comments (0)
Categories: Forecasts
        

Post a comment

All comments must be approved by the blog author. Please do not resubmit comments if they do not immediately appear. You are not required to use your full name when posting, but you should use a real e-mail address. Comments may be republished in print, but we will not publish your e-mail address. Our full Terms of Service are available here.

Verification (needed to reduce spam):

About Frank Roylance
This site is the Maryland Weather archive. The current Maryland Weather blog can be found here.
Frank Roylance is a reporter for The Baltimore Sun. He came to Baltimore from New Bedford, Mass. in 1980 to join the old Evening Sun. He moved to the morning Sun when the papers merged in 1992, and has spent most of his time since covering science, including astronomy and the weather. One of The Baltimore Sun's first online Web logs, the Weather Blog debuted in October 2004. In June 2006 Frank also began writing comments on local weather and stargazing for The Baltimore Sun's print Weather Page. Frank also answers readers’ weather queries for the newspaper and the blog. Frank Roylance retired in October 2011. Maryland Weather is now being updated by members of The Baltimore Sun staff
-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Sign up for FREE weather alerts*
Get free Baltimore Sun mobile alerts
Sign up for weather text alerts
SKY NOTES WEATHER

Returning user? Update preferences.
Sign up for more Sun text alerts
*Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Maryland Weather Center


Area Weather Stations
Resources and Sun coverage
• Weather news

• Readers' photos

• Data from the The Sun's weather station

• 2011 stargazers' calendar

• Become a backyard astronomer in five simple steps

• Baltimore Weather Archive
Daily airport weather data for Baltimore from 1948 to today

• National Weather Service:
Sterling Forecast Office

• Capital Weather Gang:
Washington Post weather blog

• CoCoRaHS:
Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network. Local observations by volunteers

• Weather Bug:
Webcams across the state

• National Data Buoy Center:
Weather and ocean data from bay and ocean buoys

• U.S. Drought Monitor:
Weekly maps of drought conditions in the U.S.

• USGS Earthquake Hazards Program:
Real-time data on earthquakes

• Water data:
From the USGS, Maryland

• National Hurricane Center

• Air Now:
Government site for air quality information

• NWS Climate Prediction Center:
Long-term and seasonal forecasts

• U.S. Climate at a Glance:
NOAA interactive site for past climate data, national, state and city

• Clear Sky Clock:
Clear sky alerts for stargazers

• NASA TV:
Watch NASA TV

• Hubblesite:
Home page for Hubble Space Telescope

• Heavens Above:
Everything for the backyard stargazer, tailored to your location

• NASA Eclipse Home Page:
Centuries of eclipse predictions

• Cruise Critic: Hurricane Zone:
Check to see how hurricanes may affect your cruise schedule

• Warming World:
NASA explains the science of climate change with articles, videos, “data visualizations,” and space-based imagery.

• What on Earth:
NASA blog on current research at the space agency.
Most Recent Comments
Blog updates
Recent updates to baltimoresun.com news blogs
 Subscribe to this feed
Charm City Current
Stay connected