baltimoresun.com

« How long is the full moon "full?" | Main | Wrecked Cessnas linked to another April 27 twister »

May 16, 2011

Enough yet? More showers and storms due

One of these days, between work and the rain showers, I'll get to cut the grass. But for now, it's just going to keep growing as we continue to entertain showers and storms that just won't leave.

Low-pressure parked pretty much on top of us continues to spin in a counter-clockwise direction. AccuWeather.comAnd that is spooling in loads of moisture from the Atlantic Ocean. Add some daytime solar energy, and we will be kicking off more showers and thunderstorms for the immediate future.

Forecasters out at Sterling are giving us a 30 percent chance for rain this afternoon, rising to 70 percent overnight. The risk then climbs to 100 percent on Tuesday and Tuesday night before gradually diminishing to 60 percent Wednesday, 40 percent Thursday and 30 percent Friday.

During that period, we could see anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rain, they say. And if you happen to find yourself beneath a thunderstorm, the totals could exceed that.

If they're right, Tuesday would seem to present our greatest risk of heavy rainfall and flash flooding. Keep an eye peeled for Flash Flood Watches and warnings.

Sterling has cancelled the Coastal Flood Advisory that has stood for several days on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake. But they expect to reinstate it early Tuesday. Coastal Flood Avisories continue in effect along portions of the Eastern Shore of the bay, and in southern portions of the Western Shore as onshore winds and high tides combine to raise high tides 1 to 1.5 feet above normal. Minor flooding in low-lying areas remains a risk.

We were down near Tilghman Island over the weekend and the high tides were just lapping at the tops of the bulkheads, and the bottoms of the piers. Folks there told us some of their piers had been underwater at high tides earlier in the week.

Posted by Frank Roylance at 11:23 AM | | Comments (1)
Categories: Forecasts
        

Comments

Frank,

The directional arrows around the "L" on the right of the graphic are going in the wrong direction.

If that Low were a High, the arrows would be correct. However, the Low is a Low.

Mike

FR: Good eyes. I'll mention it to the folks at AccuWeather.

Post a comment

All comments must be approved by the blog author. Please do not resubmit comments if they do not immediately appear. You are not required to use your full name when posting, but you should use a real e-mail address. Comments may be republished in print, but we will not publish your e-mail address. Our full Terms of Service are available here.

Verification (needed to reduce spam):

About Frank Roylance
This site is the Maryland Weather archive. The current Maryland Weather blog can be found here.
Frank Roylance is a reporter for The Baltimore Sun. He came to Baltimore from New Bedford, Mass. in 1980 to join the old Evening Sun. He moved to the morning Sun when the papers merged in 1992, and has spent most of his time since covering science, including astronomy and the weather. One of The Baltimore Sun's first online Web logs, the Weather Blog debuted in October 2004. In June 2006 Frank also began writing comments on local weather and stargazing for The Baltimore Sun's print Weather Page. Frank also answers readers’ weather queries for the newspaper and the blog. Frank Roylance retired in October 2011. Maryland Weather is now being updated by members of The Baltimore Sun staff
-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Sign up for FREE weather alerts*
Get free Baltimore Sun mobile alerts
Sign up for weather text alerts
SKY NOTES WEATHER

Returning user? Update preferences.
Sign up for more Sun text alerts
*Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Maryland Weather Center


Area Weather Stations
Resources and Sun coverage
• Weather news

• Readers' photos

• Data from the The Sun's weather station

• 2011 stargazers' calendar

• Become a backyard astronomer in five simple steps

• Baltimore Weather Archive
Daily airport weather data for Baltimore from 1948 to today

• National Weather Service:
Sterling Forecast Office

• Capital Weather Gang:
Washington Post weather blog

• CoCoRaHS:
Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network. Local observations by volunteers

• Weather Bug:
Webcams across the state

• National Data Buoy Center:
Weather and ocean data from bay and ocean buoys

• U.S. Drought Monitor:
Weekly maps of drought conditions in the U.S.

• USGS Earthquake Hazards Program:
Real-time data on earthquakes

• Water data:
From the USGS, Maryland

• National Hurricane Center

• Air Now:
Government site for air quality information

• NWS Climate Prediction Center:
Long-term and seasonal forecasts

• U.S. Climate at a Glance:
NOAA interactive site for past climate data, national, state and city

• Clear Sky Clock:
Clear sky alerts for stargazers

• NASA TV:
Watch NASA TV

• Hubblesite:
Home page for Hubble Space Telescope

• Heavens Above:
Everything for the backyard stargazer, tailored to your location

• NASA Eclipse Home Page:
Centuries of eclipse predictions

• Cruise Critic: Hurricane Zone:
Check to see how hurricanes may affect your cruise schedule

• Warming World:
NASA explains the science of climate change with articles, videos, “data visualizations,” and space-based imagery.

• What on Earth:
NASA blog on current research at the space agency.
Most Recent Comments
Blog updates
Recent updates to baltimoresun.com news blogs
 Subscribe to this feed
Charm City Current
Stay connected